Monday, January 12, 2009

with today being the exception

In the spring of 2003, I realized I was having out of control mood swings just prior to that time of the month. I went to this really nice Mormon doctor, who prescribed Sarafem, a very mild version of Zoloft. It didn't really help. It made me sleep a lot (more than usual, for those of you who know about me and my sleeping habits) and gain weight even though I was not eating. I went back and the nice Mormon doctor diagnosed me with PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder). He had done some research, and I definitely fit all of the symptoms (this was before it was a popular diagnosis). He told me the only way to really fix it was to be pregnant or in menopause. So he put me on the pill and sent me on my way.

The pill helped some, but Q will tell you not enough. And now Q comments on how even-tempered I am, how calmly I handle things, and how mostly on top of things I am. And I remind him what the Mormon doctor said. It seems he was onto something. *I remember his being Mormon but not his name...

Of course, today was a rough day at school, and I am thankful to the poor stranger who happened upon me standing next to the stuck-in-the-snow car (for the second time today) holding a shovel and bawling...

No comments: