Wednesday, October 8, 2008

17 weeks and some awkward pregnant moments

Yesterday we had our 17 week OB appointment. There isn't much exciting. I gained 2.6 pounds. Dr. B had a difficult time finding the heartbeat. He started by my belly button and worked his way down until he found it. It seems Babycue is chilling on my bladder. I can think of better places to be. Baby Center says the baby is the size of a 5 ounce turnip, so imagine that sitting on your bladder. Apparently where we live, ultrasounds are optional, and they have to come up with a reason for getting one. We could have said, no, we don't need one, but really, I want to see this little critter inside of me. So our reason: large for dates. Whatever that means. The ultrasound directions say to come with a full bladder. Like that will be a problem.

I have had a series of awkward pregnant moments...here are a couple.

Not even eight weeks along, we announce in church because the pastor is afraid she will burst from holding in our exciting news. So we announce. One lady says to me after church, "I thought I saw a belly there." But at least she didn't try to feel my belly like two ladies at a recent funeral visitation. Or compliment me on how "slim and trim" I am looking after I have just spent five days throwing up everything inside of me.

Then there's the camper from the camp where Dan and I counsel in the summers. He works at a local grocery store where we go mostly because it is open latest, and we like to check up on him. He tells me that his girlfriend was pregnant, but had a miscarriage. What do you say to that? My first instinct was to tell him about this thing called Planned Parenthood, and although I don't condone his choice to have sex just now, he should be using some kind of contraception. But I held it in, and just say I'm sorry to hear that. After all, he told me in confidence and it isn't my place to say or do anything else but listen. The next time I see him though...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

People say some stupid things. Wait till you get "my you're just about to explode aren't you?!" and "you must hate breaking out like that. Don't worry, it'll be over soon".