Saturday, November 29, 2008

Babycue's first Thanksgiving

We realize that technically this is not Babycue's first Thanksgiving, as those milestones are counted once the baby is on the outside kicking, instead of the inside, but we decided to go with it.

We had a very good time with parents, international students, and other friends dropping by for either the meal or the desserts. After spending most of two days either cooking, preparing, doing dishes, or cleaning, it was nice to have other people to do those things (big props to GrannyCue for being the dishes rockstar!!!, and my mom for taking the turkey bones home).

And despite news from the last OB appointment that shouldn't make me sad, but makes me feel like I did something wrong, we enjoyed the lazy day on Friday. We had coffee (Q lets me sometimes now) and chatted with Dr. B and his family when they stopped in at the coffee shop, and ate leftovers before ordering pizza and playing card games. I did not overeat or go crazy with food, except for the sparkling grape juice. I drank a whole bottle last night. Let me tell you about drinks with gas ( or that cause it?!?). Not something I recommend, or plan to do again. At least when you are pregnant and bloated people just think it is your belly.

Wednesday was the Gestational Diabetes screen and a hemoglobin check. My iron levels are a bit low, which means anemia. So now I have to take double the iron (58 milligrams). My mom said she had that issue also, because her body was not absorbing nutrients, and she had to take liquid iron (like drinking blood, I would think). But I also did not pass the blood sugar screen (the grape stuff to drink was actually not bad). So now I have to go to the hospital lab after fasting for 12 hours so they can prick me for three hours (I absolutely hate my fingers being poked).

3 comments:

Renee said...

I "failed" the easy gestational diabetes screening when I was pregnant with Laura. I ended up passing the second one, but I was sick of potatoes after being forced to eat them for 3 days. Then they made me do the test again a month later, just in case. I didn't each another potato product the rest of my pregnancy.

Hanna said...

I would be sick of potatoes too...we'll find out tomorrow if we made it through round 2. I think it will take a month for the bruises from four separate blood draws to go away, so I hope we don't do it again.

abu 'n um tulip said...

Just a warning on iron supplements. Iron causes constipation. There is a special kind (maybe it's the liquid form) that doesn't so much. With all the 'wonderful' side effects of being pregnant, added constipation is NOT a bonus. Salamtik (Arabic way of saying I hope your health gets better). I've got 10 weeks to go and this baby is participating in the olympics inside my tummy!