Wednesday, January 2, 2013

...Another post written from a hospital room.

Graeme, asleep at Blank Children's.
Graeme has RSV: a highly contagious respiratory virus that infects lungs and airways. It affects infants most severely. He started showing symptoms this weekend. He was checked Monday, which led to a chest x-ray and a hospital stay. Early this morning his labored breathing became difficult. Grinnell Regional dispatched the Blankmobile. Graeme checked into Blank Children's about 4 a.m. this morning. He's received several different breathing treatments over the past three days. The most effective is Vapotherm—a warm, moist, oxygenated airflow intended to stent his airways and air sacs.

Sara and I are so grateful for the thoughts, prayers, calls, texts, Facebook messages, and other encouragement you have sent our way. We're grateful for the talented, compassionate medical staffs at Grinnell Regional and Blank Children's and the excellent care he has received.

---

I am not processing this well, and that's no surprise. (Sara will chime in with a post later this week.) All the poise I had with Sara's complications? Absent, mostly. His illness snuck up on us on a lazy, at-home weekend between Christmas and New Year's. At church on Sunday, I politely dismissed concerns from a mother of five (and grandmother of many) who thought Graeme's cough sounded serious.

"At his two month check-up, the doctor said the cough was just a little phlegm in the throat. He's fine," I said.

After Hanna's first ENT appointment (a prelude to tubes), Sara took Graeme to the doctor, just to be safe. I went on to work. I met them in his hospital room before picking up the girls from daycare and taking them to Slane's favorite restaurant, Pizza Ranch. Sara and I traded kids and places, spending our first New Year's apart in a decade.

Tuesday was Family Day at the hospital. The girls were (mostly) well behaved, bouncing off the walls on occasion. The nebulizer treatments and steroid shot seemed to help. Sara took them to dinner with our friends Dave and Julie. After dinner, we swapped kids and places. I got the girls down, did some housework, topped off the rink, and fell into a deep sleep.

At 2 a.m. I awoke to Dave standing over me.

"Sara called. They're transferring Graeme to Des Moines," he said.

This is the part where I lost my poise. Awaken from deep sleep (Sara called five times before Dave came over), I still was not ready to accept that Graeme was very ill and our routine (such as it is) would be on hiatus.

"I'll go in the morning. I have to take the girls to daycare. There are important meetings and preparations for work," I may or may not have said aloud. The internal monologue was unreliable.

The Blank Children's Pediatric Support Team vehicle. AKA "The Blankmobile"
I gathered enough of my wits to accept Dave and Julie's offer to watch the girls and get them to daycare. I packed a bag and thumbed out texts to family and friends. Dave drove me to the hospital to our car. I turned the key and hit the road, trailing the Blankmobile (Thanks, Phil!) down Interstate 80 to Des Moines. I had never seen I-80 so empty of cars and trucks. I arrived just in time to meet Graeme's team of doctors and their battery of questions.

---

This is not the first post I wanted to write in 2013. I wanted to post pictures of our first Christmas as a family of five. I wanted to tell you about Dreamlites and Slane's A-Christmas-Story-esque quest for Santa to bring her one. (Spoiler alert: he did.) But here I am again—a downtown Des Moines hospital room with one of my loved ones hooked up to a myriad of machines that go "ping.”

It's so disheartening to see my child, eleven weeks old, struggle for each breath, unable to muster a cough that will clear the mucus in his lungs. Even with the breathing treatments, the air does not come easily. I wish I could do more that sit with him in sackcloth and ashes, holding the pacifier in his mouth as each breath sounds like the last sip of a milkshake. It feels unfair to both of us.

1 comment:

Amy Worrel said...

Prayers are with you! Hope the morning brought brightness and hope.