Friday, November 30, 2012

blood is thicker

I had my 6 week post partum check up this week.  All is well.  I am healing well, cleared for exercise, and good to go.  We talked a bit about my blood.  Back in the spring, Dr. T called me to tell me that I had a blood antibody that could affect baby.  It is a rare antibody, called the JKA antibody, and then told me to google it.  There isn't a lot of information out there on this specific antibody, but what I did find was from others who had it, primarily who had posted on baby and parenting forums.  This antibody, if it becomes quantifiable, can basically cross the placenta and attack baby's blood.  If that happens then the baby needs transfusions.

So every month I had to have blood tests to make sure the levels didn't get too high (they never did).  It also meant that any transfusions I got would need to be with blood with the antibody or the blood could be rejected.  The day before Graeme was born I had to have one more blood draw to type and cross check to make sure they had blood with the antibody.  They had two units ready to go.

Well, we all know that I need a few more units more than that, and they didn't have time to cross check that blood.  So I risked the chance of rejection of the blood, which I learned this week was a much higher possibility than anyone told us at the time.  Dr. T was in close contact with a doctor at the blood bank, as were all the doctors at Mercy.  Dr. T told me that it is yet another miracle that I didn't reject that blood.

A direct result of me receiving so much blood is that we have become avid fans of blood donation. Dan already was a donor, and his dad also donates regularly.  There has been talk of having a drive in my honor, which thrills me.  I even wrote a note to the trooper who brought more blood to the hospital when they ran out (turns out his wife works with Dan).

So, once again I have many other people to thank for keeping me alive.  Thanks for your prayers, and, if you donate blood, thank you.  You save lives.  If you don't donate, but are able, go donate a pint for me.

No comments: