Tuesday, November 13, 2012

God was with you

After spending a significant amount of time (for a post-op) for our visit, talking us through the events of October 16, in the end, my OB said this: God was with you.  Through all of the bleeding that would not stop, through all of the methods attempted to make it stop, through all of the deliveries of more blood by the state's finest police, through all of the prayers of strangers, family, and friends, through all of the people who worked on me, God had a reason to keep me alive.  I don't know what that reason is yet, with exception to three kids who need their mommy, and a husband who needs his wife.  I feel I have a deep responsibility to pray prayers for others who may be in dire situations, because so many of you took a few minutes to think about me.  Thank you.  I also have a responsibility to live life to the fullest.

I did have a minor setback two weeks ago.  The antibiotics I was given in the hospital managed to kill off the good bacteria in my intestines, causing the bad bacteria to take over.  I became extremely ill and dehydrated.  When I called the ER, one of my surgeons was on-call and suggested I might have C. Diff, which I did, and fluids and a different antibiotic appear to have taken care of the problem.  It was a rough couple of days.  But overall I feel good.  I am getting out a bit each day, and am able to help with Slane and Hanna much more, which is good because Dan is back at work full-time.

Speaking of getting out, I have never felt so much a part of this community.  Almost everywhere I go, someone is glad to see me, and offers help, playdates, and general thanksgiving that I am walking among them.  I feel like a celebrity of sorts, but I take to heart that I (and we) are all cared for and loved by those around us.

I have one more thing I'd like to share.  I chose to have our babies in our small town because I love the staff in the maternity wing of the hospital.  They are dedicated and caring for everyone who walks through their doors.  They also took good care of my baby when I couldn't.  They kept a list of everyone who visited, they took pictures and saved them for me, and they sent pictures to Des Moines for me.  They didn't have to do that.  I know Graeme was cuddled and loved by the finest nurses and staff around.  And I have no idea who made it possible for Graeme to come and stay in Des Moines with me, but I will be forever thankful.  Holding him for the first time was maybe one of the most emotional moments I have experienced.       

No comments: