Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Day 9.

Day 9.  We thought we would be home by now, but Graeme had a bit of a rough night and needed oxygen for an hour or so.

It has been a long haul for us.  I know many people who have spent days in the hospital with their loved ones, watching them improve.  It seems to take forever.  I'm not sure I have ever truly understood how exhausting a hospital can be.  I think the hardest part might actually be trying to take care of the life that seems to pass by in the meantime.  We've been trying to take care of Hanna's ear infection issues, make sure Slane gets to and from preschool, get meals figured out and let people know how they can help.  And all from a distance or during our sporadic time at work trying to catch up there.

I miss my girls.  I miss watching them play.  I miss how they interact with their brother.  I miss spending more than a couple of hours at a time with Dan.  I miss normal routine.  I miss dinner together.

I know that soon this will all be a memory and I will catch up on sleep.  I will have a chance to reciprocate all of the wonderful things people have done for us.  I will forget the hospital cafeteria hours.  I will not find myself comparing hospitals.  I will not steal yet another chocolate milk from the nourishment room.  I will drink decent coffee.

I will have my whole family in one place.  Soon enough.

No comments: