Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Irish wonder

This morning I dressed Slane in cute yellow corduroy overalls and a white long sleeve onesie. Then I remembered what day it is, and quickly changed the onesie to an Irish one Q's very proud of being Irish aunt sent. It says "wee one" on the front and has a shamrock on the butt.

A year ago I was 40 weeks pregnant, it was Spring Break, I was cat-sitting for the students next door, and I watched my due date come and go. I was restless and bored. I didn't want to start anything, because I didn't know if I would finish it or not. The one green maternity shirt I had was not big enough for my ginormous belly.

Today I am teaching across from a kindergarten classroom. There are "leprechaun" footprints leading into the classroom, and "gold" on the students tables (it is chocolate). I was not thinking ahead enough to bring in some Irish music, and I don't have an Irish lesson plan, but it would have been easier if I had one planned. Now I am listening to kids shouting, "the leprechaun came!!, Look the leprechaun was here!"

My leprechaun came 6 days later, and she is my Irish wonder. Someday she will love or hate this day, because it will annoy her that she has an Irish name, or she will be very proud of that. I went from being the size of a pot of gold to having a pot of gold.

1 comment:

abu 'n um tulip said...

Liking the last sentence.

-Abu Tulip