Friday, March 19, 2010

eating with the angels

This morning I saw a beautiful sunrise. Yesterday, I saw an even better one. The sun was shining through the fog, and it was pink and floaty and then got more and more orange as I traveled. The benefit of a morning commute at sunrise is the peacefulness that it offers over the terrain. It certainly has calmed my spirits lately. Our week had a rough start, and the nice spring weather has definitely helped soften the situation.

Often, if I don't get a chance to enjoy breakfast at home, or forget to get the coffee pot ready, I stop in at the local coffee shop. They know me well enough not that they usually have my coffee poured by the time I get up to the counter. And if my favorite scone is not out yet, they go to the back room and get me one (thanks, Pat, you're the best!). I often see the same people there in the mornings. I see the music and history professors mulling over whatever it is that they mull over. On Thursdays, I see the Bible study group going at it, and frequently see the Arabic professor at the college.

Now, she LOVES Slane. Whenever we see her at campus events she gravitates toward Slane and insists on holding her and exclaims over how big Slane is and how grown up she is getting. So, this morning she asked why Slane wasn't with me. She is sleeping, I said, and having good dreams. She was smiling in her sleep when I left. "She is eating with the angels. That is what they say at home. They believe babies are angels themselves and she is enjoying herself."

It kinds of matches the sunrise this morning.

1 comment:

abu 'n um tulip said...

Allah khaliilak iyaa.

Mervat is the name of my principal!

You'll have to ask her how to translate that one, but it's the appropriate thing to say about an adorable baby.

~ um tulip