Sunday, October 21, 2012

meeting Graeme, basic needs, overwhelming gratefulness

Yesterday, as I was finishing lunch, a special little guy knocked  on my door.  I was so excited to see him that I cried.  I held Graeme for some time, and loved every second of it.  Pictures are great, facetime is wonderful, but holding my little guy, who I only met in passing?  Wow.

His Uncle Chris (and Dave and the ob department in Grinnell) did such an awesome job loving on him this week that I didn't ask to hold him a lot yesterday, because I think Chris needed to do that.  In fact, I think Graeme may have had some withdrawal last night.  I am so glad that Chris could do that, so our little guy would not be alone.  

The hospital has been great, but the differences between a city hospital and Grinnell are noticeable.  There is no massage therapist here, and I was lamenting that, and we didn't get our "Special" steak dinner, so the Grinnell team sent gift certificates for each of those.  We got a card from one of our ultrasound techs with cash in it to help with whatever we need.  So sweet.  They also sent a CD with pictures of Graeme's first few days, and sent a list of all his visitors.  My Grandma said she got to hold him for 45 minutes and they were so nice to her during that time.  The staff here at Mercy is great.  They get what I need, respond quickly when I call, and are thorough.  I feel very well cared for.

Apparently things are doing okay at home.  I knew I had some vegetables ready to process and wasn't sure if that had happened, when we got a call yesterday from the person dropping off our first meal.  She noticed there were vegetables that needed to be taken care of and asked if that would be okay.  

Dan's parents and the girls came last night.  They seemed to be okay.  Slane was a bit hyper and Hanna was very sleepy, but it was still good to see my girls.  I think if they come again we need to remember to have toys on hand.  Mike and Debbie kind of had to just figure things out and I think they have done a good job with that.  

I am still overwhelmed by the generosity of strangers.  Dan had befriended a sweet Amish lady when I was in the ICU and she stopped by yesterday to check on me.  Cash is coming in from people we barely know.  Things are being taken care of and I am not stressed about much except getting better.  A doctor from my OB team was here earlier and projects that I will be send home mid to late next week.  It sounds like it is really up to the ICU team, but that makes sense.  I am planning to take more leave than I thought, because I really need to feel good to go back to taking care of my three kiddos and teaching my 500 kiddos.  For now, I'm thrilled to be able to nap as needed, get out of the bed by myself, and play with my breathing machine.

- Sara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prayers for your continued healing Sara! God still has plans for you!

Blessings,
Jolene

Hanna said...

Thanks for your prayers, Jolene.