Sunday, September 13, 2009

doctor, doctor, give me the news




I got a bad case of being cute!

I get allergy shots, sometimes once a week, sometimes biweekly, sometimes every three weeks, depending on where I am in the regimen (being pregnant threw if off a bit, so now I am just catching up). I have been getting allergy shots for 4 years, 3 of those here in Grinnell. So between that, OB visits, and Slane wellness checks, I know everyone in the office pretty well.

So, when Slane was littler, I would leave her in her car seat in the lobby while I got my shot. I knew they were watching her and she wasn't going anywhere. Some people give me strange looks when I tell them that. If I lived in the city, I would never do that. But here, I'm not worried. When I get back to the lobby after my shot, it is true, Slane is usually not there. That's because she is behind the receptionist counter, out of her car seat, getting lots of love and attention from the receptionists and nurses. There are times when I am not sure I will get her back.

At my 6-week post-partum checkup, I brought Slane along. And then Dr. B decided we needed someone to watch her, so he took her to the nurses' station, and they had a great time with her.

These days, I take her back with me for the shot. Last time, she tried to grab the syringe, and Friday she tried to get the serum. Silly baby. And then we went to check out. First, I had to put her on the counter so she could be admired. Then she discovered that the window panes move. She had a great time playing with the window while everyone who was still there at 4:45 on a Friday cooed over her and said it seemed like I should still be pregnant, not carrying around an almost 6 month old baby.

Slane is definitely loved by the people who take care of her. And she is quite popular among the people at the doctor's office.

No comments: